Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas produced by combustion. Common causes are:
1. Defective Gas, Oil, Coal furnaces. Gas hot water heaters.
2. Cracked chimney flues.
3. Indoor use of charcoal grills.
4. Use of a gas oven or range to warm a room.
5. Running a vehicle in a enclosed area.
6. Closing the fireplace damper before the fire is out.
Carbon Monoxide accidents are preventable. Actions you should take to protect your family are:
Every Fall you should have your furnace inspected by a qualified technician.
Never allow your car to run in an enclosed area, especially an attatched garage.
Make sure your fireplace is in good working order and keep damper open until the fire is completely out.
Install CO detectors in you home to warn you if CO is building up in your house.
Early warning signs of CO poisioning
Headache, fatigue, nausea, confusion. Flu-like symptoms that may appear to go away when you are away from the house that is being effected.
If these symptoms go untreated then they victim will go unconscious and eventally will die.
Several different types of CO Detectors are available on the market today. They range in price from $20 to $45, and can be purchased at almost all local hardware stores.
There are 2 different types of CO detectors. The first is a plug into the wall type that will last about 10 years. The second type is a sensor/battery unit that has a warranty of about 2 years. It will give a warning when the battery is low and the battery/sensor must be replaced when the battery is low for it to continue operating properly.
Regardless of the detector you choose, you must have them located on every level of the house. If the detector goes off then everyone should exit the home and dial 911 from the neighbors home. Fire department personnel will arrive and take readings on all levels of your home and help to determine the source of the CO.
It is still nescessary to have properly functioning Smoke Detectors on all floors of the home also.
Smoke detectors DO NOT sense CO. CO Alarms DO NOT sense smoke.
You need both operating properly on all levels of your home to protect your family.